Student visa (visado de estudiante)

There are two basic student visa types (type D) for 90 or 180 days.

180 days visa:

  • cannot be changed to TIE card – the student stays in Spain only with this visa during the whole stay (180 days)

90 days visa:

  • within 30 days of arrival to Spain the student should apply for the TIE card (tarjeta de identidad de extranjero)
  • The TIE card is then usually valid for 1 year (or until the end of the semester)

How to apply for the TIE card:

  1. Get an appointment in the immigration office here
  2. Submit the required documents and pay the tax
  3. Pick up the TIE card after 30 days

What to do if your stay is almost over but you would like/need to stay longer?

You can renew your stay with the procedure called prorroga. This is two step procedure where you first submit all the documents confirming that you continue to study and that you still comply with all the visa requirements. The second step is applying for the TIE card as in the beginning of your stay in Spain.

NIE Madrid can help you with application of your first TIE card . Do not hesitate to contact us by e-mail or by application form.