EU family member card (tarjeta de familiar comunitario)

EU family member card is a residence permit granted to the NON-EU family members of EU passport holder. The initial card is normally issued for 5 years and can be renewed after the 5 years for 10 years card. The holder of this type of NIE card is allowed to work legally in Spain.

Who can apply? 

  • Wife/ husband*
  • Registered partner in EU country*
  • Child under 26 years*
  • Not registered partner (justified cohabitation for at least 1 year)
  • Any dependent family member
  • Any family member (justified 2 years of cohabitation in the home country)

*we can help with your application in theses cases


  1. Prepare all the necessary documents
  2. Get the first appointment in the immigration office
  3. Submit the documents
  4. Wait for the resolution
  5. Get the second appointment in the immigration office (fingerprinting)
  6. Wait for about 30 days for the TIE card to be ready
  7. Pick up the TIE card

The whole process usually takes 2-3 months (from the first appointment)

The main documents to get ready:

1. The documents that proof the relationship

  • Marriage certificate (for wife/husband)
  • Partnership certificate (for registered partners)
  • Birth certificate (for children under 26 years)
  • Additional documents (for other family members/not registered partners)

2. The documents that confirm the status fo the EU national in Spain (if he/she is able to take care of the NON-EU family member/s)

The EU passport holder should comply with one of the following:

  • work for Spanish company
  • be registered as autonomo
  • have enough funds and private health insurance

To analyse your case, get the appointment for you, help you prepare all the documents and to guide you through the whole process, please contact us by the application form or send us an e-mail to